Since Spotify’s latest (0.5.3.56) update, premium users on Android are not able store their offline music onto their external SD cards, which is a bit of a nightmare considering the limited capacity of standard internal storage of phones. I recently bought a Galaxy Note 2 and had been storing the music on the phone until today I realised I was running dangerously out of space.
Julian Young asked Spotify for an official comment and the response he received:
Yes you are right the new App does not support external SD cards and only focuses on internal systems. I am very sorry that your needs are not covered by this and I will happily forward your request to our development team.
We do everything to provide the best possible service to our customers and aim to cover all demands and needs.Â I would also like to thank you for bringing this to us because it will support our development cycle.
However, on the same page and on various other sites including the official Spotify community, there are instructions on a workaround to this issue which I have successfully managed to implement. The following are the steps I took to accomplish this, so if you’re also looking to store your Spotify music on your external SD card, give it a go. It’s really straight forward and took me less than 5 mins in total.
- Uninstall the Spotify app from your phone
- Install an earlier version of Spotify – there are several online, but I used this one from
- Start the app but don’t login
- Select the SD location from your Android’s Menu button and locate your external SD card*
- Save and close (Some sites instruct you to log in and make one playlist available offline before closing down the app, but the app kept crashing on me).
- Go to Play Store, and update Spotify app
- Your offline playlists will now be stored on the external SD card while rocking the latest Spotify Android app!
*External SD card locations for various Android phones
Samsung Galaxy Note 2: /storage/extSdCard
Samsung Galaxy S2: /mnt/sdcard/external_sd
Samsung Galaxy S3: /mnt/extSdCard/
Samsung Galaxy S: /mnt/sdcard/external_sd
LG P990 2X: /mnt/sdcard/_ExternalSD